We will have our end-of-year party and perhaps mess around with some leftover NACLO problems. Please bring food to share! If you would like to bring drinks or plasticware, please let us know in advance.
Due to remarkably uncontested candidates, we will not be having elections this year. We will also not be having any officials next year. We will, however, be having lots of co-officials:
Co-presidents: Alan Du and Daniela Ganelin
Co-PR: RN and MN
Co-Secretaries: Megan Chao and Hannah Tsai
Michael McCourt, a grad student in the UMD philosophy department, spoke to us about the semantics of adjectives (e.g. “why a blue diamond is a diamond but a fake diamond is not a diamond”), and gave us a general overview of different approaches to semantics.
Slideshow is available here.
NOTES (thanks to Megan Chao):
- Truth and meaning
- Truth conditional semantics
- On one conception of semantics, a theory of meaning pairs sentences with their truth conditions, version of truth conditional semantics (TCS)
- Know meaning of sentence -> know truth conditions and vice versa
- Truth conditions
- A sentence S is true iff p
- Tarski biconditional
- Competent speakers can understand sentences they have never heard b4
- Limited # of lexical meanings and modes of composition -> infinite # of sentences
- TCS has to respect principle of compositionality
- Frege on compositionality
- Saturated meaning are complete, while unsaturated ones are not
- Unsaturated meanings as functions
- When you apply an unsaturated meaning, you produce one meaning from the function, which is the saturated meaning.
- First pass at a theory of semantic composition
- Take the sentence “Ann swims”
- [[Ann]] (the semantic value of Ann) is clearly the person called Ann
- According to Frege, [[swims]] is a function from objects to truth values (It’s true if the object it applies to actually does swim)
- What is [[gray]]? It really just combines with the meanings of nouns.
- Adjectives like that are intersective. The set of grey cats is the intersection of the set of grey things and the set of cats.
- Adjectives like ‘gray’ are also subsective. The set of gray cats is a subset of gray things. Most adjectives appear to be like this.
- Some adjectives are subsective but not intersective. For example, “Sally is a beautiful dancer” could still be true even if Sally isn’t that great of a dancer, if you read it the right way.
- Non-intersective, non-subsective adjectives do exist: For example, ‘fake’, ‘alleged’, etc.
- ‘Fake’ is a privative adjective, since a ‘fake’ something is not that something.
- Some argue that ‘Fake’ is not privative, since it just broadens the denotation of whatever it is applying to in that use only. This kind of respects our intuition more.
- Consider: A fake diamond1 is not a diamond2.
- In fact, we may need this to explain sentences like “A small elephant isn’t small”
- So maybe all adjectives are intersective.
- Not all sentences are complete in and of themselves:
- Ned is ready. (for what? We need to know to give a truth value)
- John is tall. (compared to what?)
- Bill noticed. (noticed what?)
- Sue might be in Boston (how do you give a truth value to ‘might’?)
- We may need some mind-reading or something to get the correct meaning, since it can vary depending on the context
- Frege’s solution to the puzzles
- Sinn (sense) vs. Bedetung (reference)
- (29) The first sentence here is not true.
- Basically “This sentence is true iff it is false.” à PARADOX
- Truth conditional semantics
Elections 2013 are coming soon! If you’re interested in running, please send in an email with your (brief) spiel by 3:00 on May 28th, and we’ll post it here. You can also just comment on this post.
Voting will take place during the end-of-year party on June 4th. If you won’t be able to make that meeting, you may vote between 3:00 on May 28th and 3:00 on June 4th by emailing your name and choice for each position.
The positions are:
President/Co-President (currently Alan Du and Daniela Ganelin)
- organizes meetings and special events (guest speakers, UMD trip, NACLO, etc.)
- provides NACLO practice problems and backup lectures if necessary
- works with Secretary to communicate with club and keep site updated
PR (currently RN)
- recruits new members of the club, especially younger students
- advertises through club fairs, InfoFlow, posters, class presentations, etc.
Secretary (currently de facto Megan Chao)
- takes notes on presentations
- works with President to communicate with club and keep site updated
If desired, candidates can run as panels of more than one member, and share work as they wish. Each person would then take the title of Co-[Position].
Alan Du and Daniela Ganelin: We plan to keep inviting guest visitors (from UMD, Georgetown, possibly MIT), practicing for NACLO, visiting UMD, and having student lectures. Baking frequency may increase.
RN and MN: [RN] will advertise for Linguistics Club, recruit and retain new members, and enthusiastically support it everywhere [RN] go[es]. [RN] will also visit classes of freshmen/sophomores to spread the word and invite them to join. [MN] promise[s] not to scare underclassmen away and will do everything (within normal reason) that authorities, including [RN], tell [her] to do. [MN is] also taking a lot of classes next year that current sophomores are going to take (bad decision) so that may help in underclassmen accessibility.
Hannah Tsai and Megan Chao: [Hannah] will type very fast. There will be so many notes you’ll swear [Hannah] actually understand[s] the presentation. Yours truly [Megan] will attempt to take twice as many notes as this past year and make them a lot more coherent than they were this year. [Megan] might even take notes on questions that people ask, if they’re particularly enlightening and/or amusing. Also, notes will be completely electronic next year, so they should be up on the website the day of the lecture instead of several weeks afterwards, due to problems with paper and general inefficiency with typing up written notes. On another note, [Megan] double[s] as the honorary Linguistics food truck.
Slideshow available here.
NOTES (thanks to Megan Chao):
IPA system, phonetics, and different sounds
Jay asked about Chinese sounds on the IPA system
X-sound is “c with a loopy thing”
Keep in mind that it is an international system, so it works for Chinese, too
Lots of transcription ambiguity
Reading IPA sounds
No spaces between words
PROSODY – the ~variations~
Also, there are TREES
Not quite like syntactic trees, can’t just take part of the tree and know what it means?
Various way to transcribe
Sound pressure graphs of speech
How to segment the graph and decode into words
Amplitudes correspond to going up and down really fast (like vocal cords)
Bigger = louder
People don’t actually pause in between every word
Where do they stop/start?
Throw things into the Prosody Box and don’t worry about it
Preserve proximal context and slow down distal context
John said he would obey a rebel.
Slowed context causes people to report hearing fewer words in a sentence
Proximal cuts should be weighted more heavily than distal cues
Research is a long and arduous journey, kids (917 days)
Make money! Mechanical Turks (sp?)
Phoneticians are more likely to have an extra fold in brain
- Which came first? The phonetician or the fold?
Russian english language
The world is growing and shrinking at the same time – growing in population, yet becoming smaller and smaller when it comes to communications. According to one online world population clock, we have been currently standing at 6.8 billion people. In terms of communications, were are as close like a Tweet or possibly a Skype call away from the other person, yet less than two generations ago, there were no Internet or cellphones, let alone faxes. english to russian translation Russian Translation
Countries for example Russia and Ukraine which before have largely kept themselves to themselves regarding business, have showed around the world and it’s also quite normal of these countries to have business dealings with the Western world. Russia and Ukraine are fast-becoming on in the widely used markets, therefore the need for english to korean translation has sky rocketed. For those businesses that do not have an appropriate understanding of the Russian language, it is usually incredibly challenging to conduct accurate transactions without the assistance of a professional english to korean translation. A professional translation company can translate a selection of different business documents or emails from Russian to English and the other way round to make business deals operate a much bigger smoothly.
Translation to russian from english
Due to the fast paced nature of business nowadays as well as the increase of communication, many small enterprises are already able to expand from their regional bases. With the invention from the internet, a firm doesn’t have to get local anymore as people from all around the world can get in contact and do business with them. The changes to business and communication techniques have meant that businesses can now dramatically expand their subscriber base and reach out to more prospective customers than ever before.
Spanish translation and Russian translation have become achievable with great efficiency due to these types of services which facilitate 100% perfect translation for any kind of document in connection with you. Whether your need to get your study notes or business notes translated, it is possible to bank upon translation companies to accomplish it for you regularly at an affordable price. https://www.english-russian-translations.com/translation-services When you have finally arrive at the reality that you’re in a position to practice speaking in tongues publicly, you’ll need to use more elaborate strategies and ruses. You have to create a special patter that will be a variety of hesitancy and ingratiation, while at the same time giving a semblance of fluency (Note 1).
This was a fairly low key meeting. Only 5 people showed up. Others were presumably studying for APs. My preparation notes can be found here.
We started with a basic review of fundamental constituency grammars. We then reviewed X’ theory before talking about minimalism and bare phrase structure. We then briefly talked about transition grammars, before leaving off with link grammars.
The basic idea of a constituency grammars is that sentences are divided into “phrases”, which are called constituents. To the left, we have a very basic syntax tree, where every word is part of a sentence. Obviously, this isn’t very useful, or informative.
More information comes by adding the parts of speech. We restrict ourselves to nouns, verbs, prepositions, inflections, and determiners for now. Nouns, verbs, and prepositions should be obvious from English class. Determiners are things like articles and demonstratives (the dog, or this one), while inflections include modals and negatives (things like can, cannot, should, and could). For a full treatment of word typology, see here.
Mathematics is a very important subject since it plays a serious role in developing the educational attainment of your child. Math games furthermore have a big contribution for making them thinking about learning. Maintaining your child’s interests can be quite overwhelming to you as parent as well as them. But they are able to concentrate on subject should you guide them with the use of power of games. To have fun with such games, you simply need to find a suitable website, containing many such games. There might be a variety of fun bike games, like dirt bike races, obstacle races, mission completion bike races, motocross and other alike other games. All these games are simulator games, that offers an actual biking experience. You can have a duration of your daily life sitting close to the couch. Moreover, there’s no danger of getting hurt or injured since it have been around in Dream League Soccer 2019 actual. Some are single player games, whilst the others may be for 2 or more players providing you to be able to enjoy enjoy yourself with the family and friends. Children too can enjoy these since they will be played indoors where there aren’t odds of getting hurt. So, with a few examples for example Space Kissing or Kissing At The Mall, often parents find it important to preview them. For, in doing so, one can possibly assure a child reaches an even by which one can possibly understand the game knowning that the overall game is age and skill appropriate. After which, one can determine according to results whether one really wants to continue allowing a youngster to experience a real game. errant hunters soul Physics games come in just about every genre. There are balancing games, demolition and construction games, and games where objects have to be stacked just so. All require logical thinking and strategy in order to advance to higher levels. And these games aren’t exclusively for kids. Even pupils who require a grasp of physics can gain some knowledge from learning how to advance in physics games. And there are plenty of people of any age who don’t care about the physics but merely play them as they are fun. You can pick from adventure games, driving games, construction games, balancing games, and more. There will also be other popular turn based strategy games such as Dragon Ball Z and Legend of Mana. Both of these games have been ported with the earliest gaming consoles up to https://apk2play.com/toca-hair-salon-3.html the newest ones, with history nearly the same as the Final Fantasy franchise. All in all, turn based games that want strategy could be tinkered with the same logic. That is, strengthen your character in your turn while dealing the mandatory damage or doing the necessary action once you have a chance. Attacking, defending, casting a spell and escaping a number of the common options that could be selected while playing these strategy games that run within the turn basis. You can score runs, by hitting a four or perhaps a six. A four is the place it by passes all fields man and hits the boundary with the pitch. Where a six, is by the environment and over the boundary, and misses everything. You can also get a run if you find a “no ball,” meaning when the baller doesn’t bowl the ball correctly, by overstepping the objective, or becoming dangerous when he could be bowling. A wide ball, occurs when the umpire thinks the bowler has bowled to wide for that batsman to hit the ball. A bye is when it passes the batsman and runs will likely be scored if the batsman doesn’t hit the ball. A leg bye occurs when it hits the batsman around the leg not for the bat. In the many years of experience with the folks the association, they have brought us delightful racing competitions that capture everyone’s attention and present a unique sort of experience. Since hosting such events need a great a feeling of management and implementation skills, the association is deemed to get the key authority in stock car racing.